Archive for July 31, 2011
Sunday is, hands down, my favorite day of the week.
Sundays always remind me of the Maroon 5 song, and I’ve had it in my head for the past couple days.
Such a good song. I love Maroon 5! I saw them in concert in 2004 or 2005 when they went on tour with John Mayer (swoon!). My friends and I bought lawn tickets but ended up in the third row because of some people who only came to see Maroon 5. It was an amazing concert. Adam Levine + John Mayer = total hotness.
Anyway. This Sunday was both relaxing and productive, which is the best kind of day. Things accomplished today:
run/walk/limp 5 miles because it’s hot outside and I recently agreed to run a marathon
immediate ice bath afterwards while sipping a green monster
watching Disney-related documentaries on Netflix
making my own granola and enjoying it for breakfast/midnight snack
Homemade Granola (adapted from Oh She Glows)
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almonds, slivered
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tbsp flax meal
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp raw sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp sunflower butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mix the oats, almonds, quinoa, flax, chia, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce, syrup, sunflower butter and extract.
- Microwave the wet mixture for just about a minute, until warm and easily incorporated.
- Mix the wet into the dry and stir to coat.
- Spread the mix on a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, just until the batch is slightly golden. Let cool and store in an airtight container.
This granola ranks high on the “best granolas I’ve had” list. It’s crunchy, crispy and not overly sweet. I enjoyed mine both with a cup of rice milk and atop a green smoothie today. I also eat it straight up, but I end up eating all the granola chunks before the rest of the batch.
I can’t believe this weekend is already over. Anyone else agree weekends go entirely too quickly?