Vegan Baked Onion Rings
Why is Mama Pea’s Mmm Sauce so delicious?
Well, to start, everything she makes is delicious.
I read about this sauce and it sort of reminded me of bitchin’ sauce, so I knew I had to make it. Oh my peas. Now I know why everyone in the blog world is going gaga over this sauce. I also discovered why it is called mmm sauce.
I stir fried some cubed tofu in it a few days ago. I had it atop a black bean burger and sweet potato fries last night. Today, I had it today with onion rings.
Vegan Baked Onion Rings (with mm dipping sauce)
one medium sized yellow or white onion
flax egg: 1/4 c ground flax seed + 1/2 c water
breadcrumbs + a bit cayenne + salt + pepper
all purpose flour
- Prep the onion by slicing it into rings. Try not to cry.
- Set up a little station by putting the flax egg in one bowl, flour in another and the breadcrumb mixture in another.
- Take each onion ring, dip it in the flax egg, then the flour, back to the flax egg and then in the breadcrumbs. It gets messy. But it’s so worth it.
- Lay on a baking sheet (mine was dirty) and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the edges start to look crispy.
- Let cool and devour with mm sauce. Mmm.
I can’t remember the last time I had onion rings before today. I do remember one time in 2009 I went to a restaurant in Columbia, South Carolina with some friends and I ended up ordering something like 6 baskets of fried food. I was flirting with vegetarianism at the time, and I very mistakenly thought that eating only fried vegetables was a healthy vegetarian way. Uh. No. Anyway, I’m thinking onion rings were included in my smorgasbord of crispy organics.
The best onion rings are at the Varsity in Atlanta. They will absolutely give you a heart attack and they’re more of a once-a-year type treat. My version is nowhere near as greasy but eerily close to the deliciousness.
Light, refreshing, crispy. The perfect compliment to mm sauce. I just made a double batch of the sauce. I suggest you do the same.
In other, unrelated news, I have this song stuck in my head. Someone help me get it out?